Wednesday 10 January 2024

Pistons or not?

One thing I love about old organs is the lack of pistons. It makes the console look a lot cleaner. Some of these modern organs seem to be like an aircraft cockpit with the amount of buttons! However, they are useful to have.

Someone had mentioned using these USB Macro keys as pistons. I got a set to try and they work as standard as 1 - 7 keys on a keyboard. There is a way to program them to do other things but my idea is to remove the keys and use the mechanism with a dowell rod inserted to make pistons. I'm not sure I'll place them under the keyboards but maybe have a couple of sets above in the centre by the music desk. Or even have a hidden panel that removes to reveal them when I use an organ where pistons would be useful. I'm not sure but I want to integrate them somehow while avoiding 'clutter'. Same with other buttons for turning the PC on, volume knobs, headphone socket. All of these I'd love to hide. Maybe a little drawer or behind a panel. Once I have the basic structure of the organ done and can step back and view the big picture then these little things will take shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nearly Organlike

It is starting to get there. Now to decide where things will go, where to cut curves on the top. How much to adjust the bench down, etc