Tuesday 9 January 2024

Why Cavaille-Coll? Why Gaudi?

In 2005 my parents were moving from England to France. I decided to learn to play the organ. My dad was an organist at our local church and I thought I'd give it a go. I had learned a bit of keyboard as a child and also had played guitar for a few years. I was influenced early by the organ CDs my dad had - english organs and Bach. But I don't know if it was the cheap CD recordings I purchased but English organs didn't sound right to me. Fast forward a couple of years my parents sent me an organ CD from a French cathedral. I was hooked. The roar of the reeds. The mixtures. The power. It was this that I had been seeking. In 2007 we did a tour of organs and I visited Caen and also St Ouen in Rouen, among others. Purchasing CDs from each I fell in love with French organs and music.

Fast forward to 2023. I was going on holiday to Barcelona for a week. Of course I wanted to visit La Sagrada Familia, the huge church that is still under construction over a hundred years on. I had enjoyed looking at quirky buildings on my travels and noted many, as well as the lovely Park Guell over looking Barcelona. I loved them all. I learned about their designer Antoni Gaudi. Coupled with a visit to Sant Pau, an old hospital in similar style I knew I had found a style that appealed to me.

This year when trying to find inspiration for my organ rebuild I was going to keep it simple to fit it in to a weeks holiday. But as I thought more about it I wanted something that would bring the space alive in the room and give me a challenge. What did the amount of time it took to build really matter, I wanted something I could enjoy for many years to come and would be unique but a fitting tribute to Cavaille-Coll and Gaudi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nearly Organlike

It is starting to get there. Now to decide where things will go, where to cut curves on the top. How much to adjust the bench down, etc