Saturday 6 January 2024

The Hardware

The organ runs on a computer that is about 10 years old technology wise and Windows 8.1. It just about does what I want it to. While I would love to upgrade the computer I don't want the hassle of the newer Hauptwerk and upgrading samplesets.

PC
The PC runs an AMD FX 3200 8 core processor. It runs many samplesets fine but if you play too many stops on a fast piece of music it can struggle. This is because the cache levels aren't great. However, for Caen with all the front loaded or all the rear, or all the front and selected rear ranks it does adequately for my needs.

There is a total of 32GB of DDR 3 1866mhz RAM sticks in the computer allowing a sizeable older organ sampleset to run.

I have recently upgraded the graphics card to a GT740. I don't need amazing performance just the ability to run 3 monitors. The good thing about running an old PC is the abundance of cheap parts floating around!

The touchscreens are a 22" Hanspree one I bought 8 years ago and two smaller 12" portable touchscreens off Amazon. The brand doesn't matter they'll all generic Chinese made things rebranded with whichever shop is selling them. They run the stop jambs nicely in portrait mode.

Soundcard
I purchased a ESI Gigaport EX recently. It allows 8 channels to be used. Probably not the greatest but it was a decent price, a small little box and will accomodate what I want to do. There are also two headphone ports, one for channels 1-2 and one for all 8. They don't silence the speakers when plugged in. This has advantages in you can run extra speakers. But it will mean when I want to use headphones i'll have to turn all the speakers off.

The Speakers
For a long time I only used headphones of various sorts. Then I upgraded to Alesis 5 elevate MKII speakers. These are okay at handling the sound but sound a bit warbly and thin on higher notes, especially something like a Trumpet. There is a large 10" subwoofer I purchased but have never really used which will be hooked up with these speakers to run the lower pipes. I have purchased 4 Behringer Studio 50 speakers. 2 for the Great and 2 for the Swell. The Positive will be a soundbar I have placed below the organ bench. It does a decent enough job and the positive I only really use the softer 8' and the 16' Bassoon. Eventually I plan to get another set of speakers either to run reeds through or to act as rear rank speakers elsewhere in the room.

The Organ
There are three keyboards. Two Behringer UMX 61 and one random 61 note midi keyboard which isn't a great feel but works. The pedalboard is a 30 note straight BDO from Muz Or I purchased 8 years ago. Behringer FCB1010 has provided foot pistons the past few years and swell capabilities. It will continue to be used for Swell pedals but I aim to turn sustain pedals into footswitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nearly Organlike

It is starting to get there. Now to decide where things will go, where to cut curves on the top. How much to adjust the bench down, etc